Pages

Monday, May 26, 2008

Hosanna to the Son of David!

Nearly a year ago we ordered the Hymns For a Kid's Heart series and have been enjoying learning the hymns out of these excellent books since then. There are three more books aside from the one I linked to. The books are great and the CD's are of wonderful quality, we listen to them for enjoyment often. This Christmas, instead of singing Jingle Bells our girls were singing Once in Royal David's City. The new variety was refreshing. Once you have renounced Santa Claus your choice in children's Christmas music becomes somewhat limited ;). I remember when Bri was three her musical repertoire consisted of I'm a Little Tea Pot and  the Barney song. It brings such a warmth to my heart to hear Andrew belting out "He a-wose! He a-wose!", and Bethi playing with her dolls in the dollhouse singing, "What can wash away my sins? Nothing but the blood of Jesus...". It also often brings a smile to my lips, such as hearing Bethi's rendition of At the Cross. The correct version is...

At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away (rolled away).
It was there by faith I received my sight, and now I am happy all the day.

Bethi's version is...

"At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light
And the bottom of my heart rolled away.
It  was there by faith I saved my sight, and now I'm a happy holiday!"

Obviously we're still working on that one ;).

Andrew's favorite is Holy, Holy, Holy. Whenever he sees us getting out the books he asks for it. He also enjoys a CD we have that incorporates Hebrew words and imagery into their praise and worship. At home or out shopping he loves to sing at the top of his little lungs, "Ho-wy, ho-wy, ho-wy...SHALOM!" over and over again, haha. I love it :)!

And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David; they were sore displeased, And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise? ~Matthew 21:15&16

3 comments:

  1. How precious, Shelby! I am hosting a giveaway for expectant mothers, on my blog, and I thought you might be interested. The contest ends tomorrow! Blessings!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reminder Christine! I saw your post a few days ago and have been meaning to share :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me of this series. I too, love hearing my little ones singing these great hymns. It just warms my heart. Our Nathaniel loves to sing and listen to music. I'll have to check this out. :) This year we have been picking a certain hymn for each month, so that we can learn all the words. Of course we sing lots of others songs too, but everyday we sing the "hymn for the month" and it is so cute to hear even Benjamin singing the words while at play. Such powerful messages in the old hymns.

    ReplyDelete