Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2007

6 Months and a Year

   I am delighting in being the mother of a son. As a little girl I used to pray that God would only give me daughters. Though I did have a brother he lived on this earth for only a couple of days so I was raised with two sisters and I knew nothing about boys. After a few years of marriage I starting actually wanting a boy, not because I didn't want more girls but because I really thought a boy might not be so bad after all ;). I prayed again and told God that I would take whatever he had for me joyfully. After three girls I figured that God had heard my prayer as a child and we would always have girls, haha :). It wouldn't have been a problem but at that point I really felt that God had a boy for us and even told Lee so. With Andrew I knew he was a boy and I will never forget that ultrasound. When his little face showed up on the screen I "saw" a boy, even though the ultrasound technician had yet to prove it. I am so humbled to share the responsibility with my husband of raising this little man in the ways of the LORD. To train him in the way he should go and help him to be a mighty arrow in the hand of our God. It has been an experience completely different than with our girls, even in ways that I never imagined! One thing that has really hit me is that when I am sitting gazing at him, like all mothers do at their babies, I can't picture his future in the same way I could with our daughters. I don't truly know what it is like to be a husband and a father! When I tell him I love you so much!!! I know that he will never "know" how I love him because he will never know how a mother loves. He will, Lord willing, be a Daddy and, while I'm sure a father's love is just as strong as a mother's I'm also sure it must be a "different" love. I feel somewhat adequate to prepare my daughters for marriage and motherhood but the role of priest/provider/protector seems so daunting to me! I am so glad that God made me a nurturer, I would never say it is an "easy" calling but I feel much more suited for it! And I am so glad that He gave me a wonderful husband to lead our young son into godly manhood.
   It has been a wonderful six months! Andrew now has four teeth, sits up confidently, and imitates some of the oddest sounds! I imagine he will be an early talker. He also scoots, already. If you put him sitting up on a smooth surface he will push with his little legs until he gets to something he wants. He can also do it while he's lying down which makes diaper changes really interesting! Especially since we've switched to cloth diapers (which is going wonderfully by the way and we're saving at least $50 dollars a month between Andrew and Bethani!). He had his first solid food the other day and now he has had a couple bites of a mashed up banana, a couple bites of baby cereal, a teething cookie...loved that...and a few Ritz crackers, he'll steal those right out of our hands! He's gaining fine so we haven't really put him on solids yet, just a few times a week as a treat. He and Bethani, 17 months apart, now wear the same size in disposable diapers! (We still use paper diapers when we go out).  Here he is enjoying his teething cookie...



   There has been another anniversary this last week. April second marked a year since my first post, my blog is a year old! I've been pretty busy lately so I missed it. You know how you can make my day? Leave me a comment :)! I can "see" you on stat counter and I would love to "meet" you :). But really, I don't mind if you would rather not or simply don't have the time, I seldom get the opportunity to comment on the blogs I read either.  I know we mommies are busy people :).

Have a blessed day in HIM!!!

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your wisdom! I left a post on your Blog below!


    Charity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments Charity :). I didn't realize it was de-lurking week! How convenient ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend and her sister only had daughters, and were telling a group of homeschool moms how concerned they were about another sister's little boy. They felt that the dad was having a bad influence on him, and they were wanting to intervene in some way before this little fellow was just ruined. We asked her what she was seeing in this little boy that bothered them. Listening to her stories, those of us with sons were trying so hard not to laugh.

    Finally one of us said, "Pam, you just haven't had a boy. This is real normal boy behavior. They're just like that." The rest of us all agreed. What was so funny was that she had 16 yr old twin daughters and was at that time expecting a boy. The look on her face was priceless.

    bethanyrae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shelby!

    What a sweet post! Andrew is so precious! I also always thought that I only wanted daughters. But my son has definitely changed my view on that. He has been such a great blessing. I love the differences in having sons and daughters. What blessings!

    In Him,

    Christine

    www.christine-mary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is so cute!


    Happy blogiversary!!!


    Once again enjoyed reading your blog. I have greatly enjoyed being a mama to both girls and then boys. Such a delight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is so adorable! I wish we had a baby as pudgy as him around the house still. *sigh* Ah well, God gives and He doesn't give (or was that takes away ;-). I am overly blessed with my three sisters.

    Have a nice day!


    -Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comments ladies :).

    Bethanyrae~ What a funny story :). I imagine I still have a LOT to learn ;), but I'm excited for the journey :).

    Christine~ You too?! I was sure I would have been the only one! :)

    Tanya~ Thank you :). And it is wonderful :).

    Melanie~ Pudgy babies are wonderful and so are sisters, I love watching my littlegirls growing up together...and I'm sure God isn't through blessing your life yet :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwww, he's so cute!


    =)

    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read your blog... though I know I rarely comment. :)


    Today, I listened to the CD you sent -- finally! I really enjoyed it and agreed with it (as I expected I would!). Thank you so much. :)


    I also found the two pencils you sent for the boys -- somehow they had been stuck inside the bubble envelope and I didn't know they were there! I was putting the envelope away (I re-use those envelopes ;D) and they fell out! And here it had been sitting on my desk for probably weeks, with those pencils inside. :) You probably wondered why I hadn't thanked you for those. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello,

    You have a beautiful blog. Andrew is precious, and I am so glad to see that you are raising him up in the fear and admonition of the Lord. We have one daughter so far (7 months old) and we are thoroughly enjoying the task God has given us of raising her!


    Beverly


    http://highcalling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have said everything I've been thinking and feeling. I am a "girly" girl by nature and always saw myself with only girls. However, I can't believe how head-over-heals in LOVE I am with my son, Samuel. I mean it's like I've had my first child all over again. I can't even see myself having another after him. I just want to pour everything I have into this little guy. I was just saying to my husband this morning how I have so much hope and high expectations for him. I want him to be a man of God, and that it all starts NOW. Training our little boys to know that they are first and foremost loved by God, and that through Him they can do great things for God. That is my prayer. Of course I'm thrilled with my girls and pray that they too, grow up to be Godly women.


    Such a high calling, this thing called motherhood!


    Be blessed,


    Nadine (I'm not signed in)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came across your blog from another HS Blogger. I'm also a mom of 4. We have one on the way. It's neat reading about other families with similar convictions. I really liked your post on "Why we homeschool" We feel very strongly about it too.


    Btw-we all liked your pictures of your family. My seven year old especially liked seeing someone close to her age. :) It was nice showing her your girls helping in the kitchen with cooking and the dishes. She's doing the "Keepers at Home" program with several other girls at church.


    God Bless, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed reading your blog this morning. This is a beautiful post! The pictures of your children are so precious. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Brianna :)!


    That CD is one of my favorite Tammy, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm so pleased to know that you read here. Your blog is such an encouragement to me :)!


    Thank you for your kind words Beverly. Parenting is a blessed calling :)!!!


    Hi Nadine :). I find it so interesting that I'm not the only one who thought they weren't cut out for the adventure of raising boys before they actually got one :). I think it is more common of a feeling than I once thought :)! As far as having more...I can't say that I don't want more ;). I really thought I would be pregnant agoain by now and I'm kind of feeling disappointed that I'm not :)! But, I know it is in God's hands so I'm resting content waiting for God's timing, if He has anymore for us.


    Hi Pam!

    So nice to "meet" you :)! Congratulations on your new little one!!! What a blessing!!! I'm glad you were blessed by my homeschool "series" of posts. I was kind of nervous about posting it because I didn't want to offend anyone. We truly do feel very strongly about it, as you could tell :). But I do have friends who do all kinds of different schooling and I know they love their children as much as I do :). I'll have to hop over to your blog later today :).


    Thank you for your sweet words Holly :)!

    ReplyDelete