Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Still Here...

 

I'm still here :). I've been rather preoccupied with my research into being more productive and efficient as a family. I am really excited about what I've been learning and I can't wait to share what we're doing. I just want to be sure I've got it figured out first! I'm using materials from Steve and Terri Maxwell of Titus 2, Managers of Their Homes and Managers of Their Chores. I have to admit that it does appear to be a lot of work to implement, but I can see how the time investment would be worth it. I am kind of nervous of tying myself down to a schedule, I've always been more of a "routine" person but we're just not getting everything done that I know we could if we were more redeeming with our time. With two in school, a (very curious and creative) preschooler and a (constantly hungry) baby, our "routine" seems to have become more reactive than proactive. I've read through the books, now Lee and I are listening to their workshops and I'm looking forward to putting it all together.
In other important family news, April 16th was Bri's "Heavenly Birthday". We had a cake and gifted her with a new concordance in honor of the day, three years ago, when she professed her reliance on Christ to renew her heart and wash her clean.



Our heavenly birthday cakes are angel food, of course ;). We frost them white to remind us that we are washed as white as snow by our Savior's sacrifice, we use heart sprinkles to symbolize God's love and flower sprinkles to symbolize our new lives in HIM. We bake them round to symbolize our eternal lives in Christ. Lastly, we put a candle on top but instead of blowing it out we light it :)..."Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." ~Matthew 5:16. Tori's first heavenly birthday will be June 13th. I love to see Bri curl up with her concordance and feast on His Word :). There is something else I love to see her curl up with...



I snapped this picture the other day while Bri was watching Andrew so I could fix supper. She is such a blessing to all of us.
Andrew is growing! At his last well baby check-up he weighed 21 pounds...Bethani, our 23 month old, weighs 24. He's getting really big! We had to go shopping again and buy him a size 18 month wardrobe! Here he is in his first "real" PJ's...



He looks so big! His new hobby is to try to pull up on whatever he can, and so it starts :)...



 And lastly, we rejoice in the decision of some men on the Supreme Court who "Opened their mouths for the silent in the cause of many such as were appointed to destruction."* through the barbaric practice of partial-birth abortion. One victory won...we pray many more will follow. I wonder how many growing babies had already been marked for destruction in just the following days and weeks had they ruled otherwise, praise God that their blood has been spared! And we also mourn for the families who lost loved ones in the Virginia Tech shooting. My heart found inspiration in the heroic actions of Liviu Librescu, the 76 year old Holocaust survivor who gave his life for his students. Sadly one of the fallen was one of "ours", 20 year old Lauren Ashley McCain was formerly a fellow homeschooler.
Hopefully I won't be away for so long this time :)! Have a blessed day in HIM!!!

*Paraphrased from Proverbs 31:8

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shelby!

    Thank you for sharing about your childrens' Heavenly birthday! How incredible! I love the picture of Bri and the baby! You are doing a tremendous job training your little ones to love and serve the Lord. Thank you for your example.

    In Him,

    Christine

    www.christine-mary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing your memories. We love the Maxwell's books. They really do help a lot!


    marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again! Your children are as beautiful as ever! Thanks for dropping by my blog! I'm glad things are going well for your family and rejoice with you in the Heavenly birthdays of your beautiful children. What a treasure! I pray for and anxiously await the day that my children entrust their heart to our gracious Lord and Savior. What a tremendous blessing! Hope to talk with you again soon!

    Charity

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Heavenly Birthday idea! And what a blessing. How old is Bri?

    And praise God for the Supreme Court victory! I never cease to be amazed at the wonders He performs!


    -Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, so i'm commenting again to let you know that since I appreciate your blog I've given you a special award! go to my blog to read the post and find out about it.

    marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your sweet words ladies :)!

    And thank you for the special blessing Marie :)!

    Bri is nine, Melanie :).

    ReplyDelete