Pages

Friday, May 19, 2006

From the Heart

    Tomorrow is a big day for my sister, she has worked very hard these last four years to become a teacher and tomorrow is the big day! Graduation!!!  It will be a big day for my mom and dad as well, tomorrow marks the end of their children's "formal education", though all of us smart people know that we never really stop learning . My younger sisters were homeschooled their entire school career until college, and I was for most of mine. For those of you who get nervous about homeschooling through high school, you may be comforted to know they were much more prepared for college than most of their classmates and did great despite never having set foot inside a classroom before they started college, including being granted full scholarships! In honor of all of them I'm posting a poem my sister recently wrote, enjoy!

From The Heart
The garden was my science lab,
It's what I liked the best,
As I studied how the plants would grow,
And the life of each garden pest,

Math class was in the kitchen,
I'd often find it a treat,
To add, convert, and measure,
Just to end up with a sweet!

History was a joy,
As I learned about the past,
I'd day dream of Early America,
And how it changed so fast,

"Language is important,"
My teachers often said,
"It's what you use to express yourself;
To share what's in your head,

My father taught me math and science,
My mother history, language, and art,
My sisters were my only classmates,
And education came from the heart.

~Tessa Whitson
My mom's three girls...


(LtoR) Tessa, Shelby (Me), and baby Amber

1985



My three girls...


(LtoR) Tori, Baby Bethi, and Bri

2005



Now a new generation of little girls are acquiring an "education that comes from the heart". Maybe it's time for a math lesson in the kitchen...

3 comments:

  1. This is so neat that we have come across each other in the bolg world!! :)


    P.S Your letter is on my list of things to do still. Sorry for taking so long, but I'm writing next week hopefully. :)


    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on a few other posts you have. I saw the one of Bethani and the dress I sewed for her. She is adorable! :) Now I really must write you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!


    Kris Price suggested that we add this post to your blog to let you know that you have been chosen as the featured blogger on The Old Schoolhouse Magazine's Homeschoolblogger.com.


    Your prize is our Hey, Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek! Short Starter Set.


    Included in this set:


    The Reader

    Student workbooks: Levels One and Two

    "Answers Only" answer keys: Levels One and Two

    Audio pronunciation CD: The Reader, Levels One and Two

    Quizzes/Exams packets: Levels One and Two

    Flashcards on a Ring sets: Levels One and Two


    This set retails for $69.85.


    In order for us to mail you this prize, we will need your full name and complete postal address. Please check your hotmail inbox for our congratulations e-mail and reply to it to send us your name and postal address.


    If you have questions, please visit our website, scroll down, and fill out the "Questions and Concerns" Form. (www.greeknstuff.com)


    Again, congratulations on being the winner! Have fun learning Greek!


    Karen Mohs

    Greek 'n' Stuff

    ReplyDelete