Pages

Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Epiphany at Mealtime

   Feeding a toddler has got to be one of the most exasperating jobs of motherhood, don't you think? Not only is their little mouth never in the same place for two milliseconds in a row, but at the same time they are wiggling in their chairs and those cute little hands are everywhere at once! While feeding Bethani her yogurt today I had quite the epiphany. She was intent on watching the hummingbirds at the feeder outside the window rather than paying much attention to her lunch and invariably the moment I would think I was home safe with a spoonful, she would turn her head to look out the window, mouth still wide open of course, and instead of a mouthful she would end up with a face full of yogurt!
   After about the third time, just when I had about hit the point of giving up, I was struck with the thought, "How many times has my Savior had something for me, a verse to bring to mind, a nugget of wisdom, a solution to a problem, and at the last moment I allowed the world in one way or another to take my focus off of Him, turned away, and missed out, or even worse, made a big mess!?". Luckily, my Redeemer is patient with me and He is always there with another "spoonful".
   Bethani eventually got done with her lunch, but not without many reminders to "Look at Mother!".
 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
-Hebrews 12:1&2

No comments:

Post a Comment